Monday 4 April 2011

Peanut Swirl Brownies



For weeks I have been wanting to do a post about recipes, I have previously blogged about my fondness for all things sweet and how I will eventually get round to baking something my self and this weekend was my time. I decided to bake Peanut Swirl Brownies as lately in our house cookery programmes seem to be a regular feature and one in particular is the Barefoot Contessa aka Ina Green. On one of her shows she was making the Peanut Swirl Brownies and she made it look so simple and the final result looked so scrumscious I had to try it myself. 

You will need...


  • 1 pound unsalted butter
  • 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips divided
  • 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 6 extra-large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
  • 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extracts
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup smooth or chunky peanut butter





How To...


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 

Melt together butter, 1pound of chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water, let this cool. In a large bowl stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl sift together 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt then add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. Pour into the sheet pan, spoon the peanut butter over the top of the chocolate mixture and using a knife swirl it through the chocolate mixture (this is a fun part.) Now bake for 30 minutes and then cut into big chunky squares and simply enjoy. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, these pics look delicious. I love brownie batter!

Amy said...

oh man these look amazing! I will have to make them.

Anonymous said...

Barefoot contessa seems to have lots of amazing recipes. This looks delicious!!!

P.S. Thanks so much for following :)
and you have such a lovely name. Abigail was one of the names on our list if we had had a girl. :)

Abigail's Place said...

Thanks so much for all your comments so pleased you all enjoyed my post! They were a lot of fun to make and eat!

An she is amazing the Barefoot Contessa makes me want to cook a bit more!

Abigail x

Swirls of Happy said...

First, Barefoot Contessa is one of my favs! Second, thanks for the comment and for being a new follower. Third, I have an obsession for not only Brownies but all things Peanut Butter! YUMMM!!! Can't wait to try these :) I am a new follower of yours as well!

Amy said...

oh and by the way, I nominated you for Stylish Blogger Award! Congrats.

The Beauty Method said...

Just discovered your Blog through Brushed Satin, so glad I did cos' its gorgeous! (I don't know if my hips will be so grateful after trying this recipe out!) I am following, check out mine too! Miss Walker xoxo