Thursday 3 March 2011

Between The Covers

I will proudly hold my head up high and admit that I am a book worm, I love nothing more than getting stuck into a good book. Especially one where you get so caught up in the story that you feel as if you are one of the characters and even though its half 3 in the morning and your alarm is going to be going off in a few short hours you don't care because you have to get to the end and find out if there is a happy ending.

An today is celebrating this passion of mine with National Book Day, encouraging people to get involved & find something that they enjoy and get lost in a world however far removed they wish to be. In my short 22 years of being a bibliophile (I love this word) I have been a member of Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' & 'Secret Seven,' then I was off to 'Malory Towers' thanks to a week in bed with tonsillitis. I was whisked away into the magical world of Hogwarts, as my Grandad collected tokens from the Sunday paper and introduced me to the first two Harry Potter books before they became the craze they are today. Shakespeare & Chaucer were figures whose works you could not help but get wrapped up whilst in the middle of a English Literature class in school.




Today I have a mixed taste in books, I can go from a girly novel that I find are brilliant to read whilst lazing in the sun on holiday, there have been moments whilst on a sun lounger that I have been laughing out loud & then crying the next. History novels take up a full shelf on my bookcase as I love nothing better then reading about the incredible lives of The Tudors, there is something so fascinating about life at court and the events that took place in that era. "I'd always thought the dissolution of the monasteries would make a great setting for a murder mystery," says author C.J. Sansom, an I couldn't agree more as after reading all 5 novels in the Shardlake series I am a huge fan of this author. 

No comments: